Those who have been to dinners or themed parties hosted by Tina Cuevas can expect a grandiose time whenever an invitation from the hostess is sent their way. The hotelier, who reinvented the former Sulo Hotel into a chic boutique hotel now called Sulo Riviera, goes through great lengths to organize get-togethers that family and friends describe as “opulent and unforgettable.”
Tina explains, “I’m definitely a maximalist. I am normally inclined to do a full tablescape, making every bit of it Instagram-post worthy. I am quite eclectic in my themes and concepts.” The Sulo Riviera is a preferred venue for her parties, which usually commences with cocktails at the lounge. Sometimes, Tina would set up in other parts of the hotel, not just inside the function rooms, which are rather expected, but also in unexpected areas like on top of the pool. Despite having a full staff to help her put together her parties, Tina insists on being hands-on. “I sit down and plan with the F&B team and in-house florist to relay the concept. The part I enjoy the most in the preparation would have to be putting to life the concept of the event—from choosing cutlery, table runners, flowers to, of course, the menu.”
Regardless of theme, whether it be a French evening soiree or sunset cocktails inspired by Latin American culture, Tina makes sure to “embrace the Filipino culture of song and dance.” Live music, according to her, is an essential element that adds to the festive feel of her parties.
MORE PHOTOS FROM TINA CUAVA’S PARTY…
LATIN AMERICAN AFTERNOON MERIENDA CENA MENU
Summer Spring Rolls
Crispy Shrimp with Spicy Mango Puree
Beef Churrasco with Brazilian Rice, Black Beans Stew, Chimichurri Mango Salsa Glazed with Balsamic Reduction
Uruguayan Dessert with Walnuts and Caramel
Tropical Sea Breeze Punch
HOW TO DO A LATIN AMERICAN THEMED AFTERNOON PARTY
1. Choose an outdoor location, either poolside, in the garden, or better yet, on top of a pool, where a fiberglass stage can be safely installed.
2. Colorful blooms, tropical fruits and decorative elements like birds and hanging candelabras are elements that can help dress up your table.
3. Pick out dishes that are distinctly Latin American, like a filling churrasco dish.
4. Keep guests refreshed with a selection of fresh juices, shakes or slushes. You can even add a dash of liqueur once happy hour starts.
5. Music enlivens any party. Some contemporary Latin American artists to add to your playlist include Celia Cruz, El Gran Como de Puerto Rico and Enrique Iglesias.
Text by Bianca Salonga
Photography by Dix Perez
READ MORE STORIES ON ENTERTAINING…